June 24, 2011

A Baby Story: Miracle on 34th Street

What better way to start our family blog than with the story of how we became a family of three! After all, as great as being a family of two was, we would both agree that three is SO much better!

Last July, we were very surprised with a positive sign on the little pee stick. More so me than Jimmy. I guess he expected it to happen eventually, but my anxious desire for it to happen sooner rather than later made the moment that stick turned positive extremely shocking! And thus began crazy life changes. We packed up, moved to Oklahoma, changed jobs, bought a house, and anxiously awaited our little one.

On the morning of March 16, I woke up to a very exciting, yet not so pleasant event. My water broke at 6:45am. I called Jimmy, who was already at work, and had him come home while I took a quick shower and packed. (I know...I hadn't done that yet!) We checked into the hospital and waited. And waited. And waited some more. I had tested positive for Strep B, so we couldn't wait at home for labor to start, which was my original plan. We desired as natural a birth as possible, but with the Strep B, the odds were already against us. After about 12 hours of not-so-consistant or intense contractions, we decided to go ahead and get pitocin. They like to deliver the baby within 24 hours of your water breaking, especially with the risk of Strep B...so we needed to get a move on or we were looking at a c-section. Let's just say the pitocin worked. Basically, the pitocin made my labor as intense as transitional labor is supposed to be...yet 8 hours later I was only at a 3. Talk about disheartening. Worst pain of my life and we SO were not getting anywhere. Jimmy was my hero for those long 8 hours. Finally...for about 4 hours in a row I told him to ask me the next hour if I wanted an epidural. At about 5am on the morning of March 17th, they delivered that glorious pain reliever and went into a MUCH needed (and might I say much deserved?) sleep. Best I had since I got pregnant! Finally around 5:30pm, I was feeling a lot of pressure and had them check...sure enough, our little boy was ready! We delivered at 6:29pm...a whopping 36 hours of labor. I remind Jimmy of that often. Wouldn't have made it that long if it hadn't been for my wonderful midwife Leanna. But seriously, BEST moment of my life!




Welcome to the world Jaxon Bailey Green! 6 lb 12 oz and 20.1 in long! It's true what they say...a bundle FULL of joy!!! Never in my life have I loved something so quickly and so deeply. He stole my heart the moment his little face looked at mine. Words cannot express the feelings that come at this moment; it can only be known by experience. It's so overwhelming I cried about it for at least 3 weeks. Such a special memory I hope I will never ever forget.

Jaxon Bailey Green
March 17, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment